Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Black Bean Soup

Today I tried a new recipe thanks to my friend Rachael!! You're a genius Rach! She told me she was making Black Bean soup for dinner so I decided to be a copycat and make my own recipe. It sounded healthy and easy so I was all in. My family and guest loved this soup. We all had more!!

Lundi's Black Bean Soup

Ingredients:


  • 32 ounces organic black beans ( i used canned reduced sodium since this was spur of the moment)
  • 16 ounces organic corn 
  • 8 ounces sliced organic carrots
  • 8 ounces chopped celery ( i didn't have any)
  • 1/4 of a large yellow onion 
  • 1 tbsp minced garlic
  • 1 tbsp cayenne pepper 
  • 1/2 to 1 tbsp cumin powder
  • 1/4 tsp Mrs. Dash Extra Spicy (love this) *pic below
  • 1/4 tsp McCormick Perfect Pinch Garlic Pepper (love this) *pic below
  • 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • 48 oz. container low sodium/reduced fat chicken broth
  • 1 lb. ground turkey (as lean as you can find)
  • 1 avocado sliced for toppings
  • Salt to taste
Other topping Ideas:


  • Fat free/Low Fat shredded cheese
  • Fat free plain Greek yogurt
  • Fat free sour cream
  • Green Onion
  • Siracha sauce or other hot sauce
  • Jalapenos

Brown turkey meat with the onion. When it is completely browned add in the broth. Make sure you rinse the black beans if you are using canned. Now add all the beans, carrots, and corn. Next you will add in your seasonings and give it a taste to see if it is how you want it. Season to taste and let it low boil for 20 min then turn to low for an additional 15-20 minutes. When finished add a little bit of avocado to the top before serving. I also had a french loaf for dipping. It was so delicious!!! 

Side notes: I wish I would have had celery because that would've been a tasty addition :) 

If you are using dry beans, you have to follow the package instructions for those beans before you can follow my recipe :)

I was thinking that you could use a taco seasoning packet instead of the other seasoning I have listed. 


Let me know what you think!!! 

Thanks for stopping by!

Lundi






No comments:

Post a Comment